Before Moving Day:
- Arrange for movers or moving van.
- Need additional storage? Arrange for a storage unit as well.
- Purge items before packing. Consider donating unwanted items.
- Measure large furniture pieces. This will help when trying to navigate tighter spaces.
- Collect/purchase durable boxes/bins, packing tape, markers.
- Go to USPS.com to notify the change of address.
- Have an Amazon account? Update the new address there, too.
- Notify your bank.
- Notify credit card companies.
- Notify magazine subscriptions.
- Call utility companies for the home you are vacating.
- Call utility companies for your new home.
- Cancel any home deliveries.
- Empty refrigerator/freezer prior to your moving date.
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Do you need to arrange boarding for your pets? Take care of that now.
- Plan for the transport of pets and plants.
- Carry currency, jewelry and important documents or use registered mail.
- Pack an overnight bag, including towels and sheets.
- Inform family & friends of route and schedule for that day. Notify if any changes occur.
Moving to a New Area?
- Bank: does your current bank have locations in your new city?
- Health Care Providers: request recommendations and the best way to transfer records.
- Schools: contact the current and new school district to enroll and transfer records.
- Vehicles: check with local BMV/DMV on appropriate procedures.
- Pets: consult your current veterinarian for records and recommendations. Do your pets need to be boarded during the moving process? Arrange for that.