When the purchase agreement is executed:
- Decide how you will move: Full-service movers, part service movers, or self-moving.
- Request change of address from the post office and mail forwarding.
- If full/part service movers, schedule in-home estimates for movers.
- Request time off for the moving day.
- Start interviewing schools for kids.
- Request transcript transfers.
- Start selling/donating the things you don’t want to take to your new home.
- Start collecting free boxes from restaurants, grocery, and liquor stores.
- Start using food from your freezer.
- Give landlord notice.
3 weeks before your move:
- Color code and label your boxes with the room, and if items are fragile.
- Create an inventory sheet of valuable items.
- Take photos of electronic hookups (tv, dvd, game systems, etc.).
- Start packing a little every day.
- If you need to unassemble something that needs to be re-assembled, take pictures of each stage and put any hardware all together in a labeled baggie.
- Confirm parking options for the moving truck if necessary.
- Gather important documents and put them in a pouch to take with you on moving day.
- Find landscaping/gardening/snow removal services in your new neighborhood.
- Recycle or dispose of corrosive and hazardous materials.
2 weeks before your move:
- Return any library books and any rented items.
- Pick Up any clothes at the dry cleaner.
- Find a new doctor/dentist/vet, etc., in a new neighborhood.
- Update your voter registration.
- Transfer/cancel utilities (electric, water, sewer, trash, cable, phone, gas).
- Update pet ID tags.
1 week before your move:
- Backup your computer.
- Fill any prescriptions/transfer prescriptions to a new pharmacy.
- Arrange a babysitter for moving day.
- Arrange pet sitting for moving day.
- Send out your “we’ve moved!” announcement.
- Change your address with loan providers, credit cards, banks, and payroll dept at work.
- Order new checks.
- Change address with government entities: social security, IRS, Dept of Veteran’s Affairs.
- Change address for auto insurance and car registration.
- Update your address with Amazon and other online services/monthly subscription boxes.
- Update your driver’s license.